General Studies Syllabus for the Main Examination
General Guidelines: The nature and standard of questions in the General Studies papers will be such that a well-educated person will be able to answer them without any specialized study. The questions will be such as to test a candidateâ€™s general awareness of a variety of subjects, which will have relevance for a career in Civil Services. The questions are likely to test the candidateâ€™s basic understanding of all relevant issues, and ability to analyze, and take a view on conflicting socio-economic goals, objectives and demands. The candidates must give relevant, meaningful and succinct answers.
PAPER â€“ I
1. History of Modern India and Indian Culture : The History of Modern India will cover history of the Country from about the middle of nineteenth century and would also include questions on important personalities who shaped the freedom movement and social reforms. The part relating to Indian
culture will cover all aspects of Indian culture from the ancient to modern times as well as principal features of literature, arts and architecture.
2. Geography of India : In this part, questions will be on the physical, economic and social geography of India.
3. Constitution of India and Indian Polity: This part will include questions on the Constitution of India as well as all constitutional, legal, administrative and other issues emerging from the politico-administrative system prevalent in the country.
4. Current National Issues and Topics of Social Relevance : This part is intended to test the candidateâ€™s awareness of current national issues and topics of social relevance in present-day India, such as the Â following:
(i) The Indian economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization of resources, growth, development and employment.
(ii) Issues arising from the social and economic exclusion of large sections from the benefits of development.
(iii) Other issues relating to the development and management of human resource.
(iv) Health issues including the managementof Public Health, Health education and ethical concerns regarding health-care, medical research and pharmaceuticals.
(v) Law enforcement, internal security andrelated issues such as the preservation of communal harmony.
(vi) Issues relating to good governance and accountability to the citizens including the maintenance of human rights, and of probity in public life.
(vii) Environmental issues, ecological preservation, conservation of natural resources and national heritage.
PAPER â€“ II
1. India and the World : This part will include questions to test candidateâ€™s awareness of Indiaâ€™s relationship with the world in various spheres such as the following:-
Foreign Affairs with special emphasis on Indiaâ€™s relations with neighbouring countries and in the region.
Security and defence related matters.
Nuclear policy, issues, and conflicts. The Indian Diaspora and its contribution to India and the world.
2. Indiaâ€™s Economic Interaction with the World : In this part, questions will be on economic and trade issues such as foreign trade, foreign investment; economic and diplomacyissues relating to oil, gas and energy flows; the role and functions of I.M.F., World Bank, W.T.O., WIPO etc. which influence Indiaâ€™s economic interaction with other countries and international institutions.
3. Developments in the Field of Science & Technology, IT and space : In this part, questions will test the candidateâ€™s awareness of the developments in the field of science and technology, information technology, space andÂ basic ideas about computers, robotics, nanotechnology, biotechnology and related issues regarding intellectual propertyrights.
4. International Affairs and Institutions: This part will include questions on importantevents in world affairs and on international institutions.
5. Statistical analysis, graphs and diagrams: This part will test the candidateâ€™s ability to draw conclusions from information presented in statistical, graphical or diagrammatical form and to interpret them.
Incoming search terms:
- dgeneriki ru